COVENTRY AND WARWICKSHIRE LOCAL OPTOMETRIC COMMITTEE Meeting of Monday 18th November 2019 Venue – The Almanack – Kenilworth


v

COVENTRY AND WARWICKSHIRE LOCAL OPTOMETRIC COMMITTEE

                           Meeting of Monday 18th November 2019

Venue – The Almanack – Kenilworth  – The meeting opened at 6.35pm

Those present:

Jason Rice (Chair), Dilesh Makwana (Sec), Kiran Bola (Treas), Sukhinder Cheema, Michelle Corrin, Gurpreet Bains, Raj Jogia, Russell Peake, Susan Bowers, Jon Belcher, Mike Harris, Suresh Munyal, Francesca Marchetti, Joy Elwell, Chaaban Zeidan.

Apologies: Jane Kempton.

Minute taker: Bev Morris.

The minutes of the last meeting were accepted.

Matters arising: None

There were no action points.

CHEC

Javid has responded and given an email and address and fax for NHS.net. When a referral is sent via the portal the Optometrists receives a reference number back, there was some confusion as to who which patient the reference number belonged to. Note the time that referral was sent to CHEC – when the email comes back the same time will show.

Positive- Sukhi reported that the patients were happy with the system. Better than we used to have.

Chaabaan to put the ‘time’ hint on the website.  Dilesh will email these details out aswell.

Jon  received an email this morning was slightly contradictive saying to send everything to CHEC – even under 16’s. Flashes and floaters – book straight in for appt. Jon to look at the contract & send to Jason etc.  Imran – consultant/owner is quite amicable.

NOC

Jason and Chaaban attended the NOC. See attached NOC report sent to all. Looking at the whole thing – Primary care network, GPs, primary care services – etc cover up to 50 K practices.  Where are these groups locally.

Jason to ask Claire Roberts, Suresh also to check.

NHS long term plan – see attached NOC report. Dudley has a clinic – healthy living etc. – smoking etc. & Nottingham.

Chaaban feels LOC needs to do more to upskill their members. Discussed with various LOCs – how can we move forward to ‘upskill’. We already have MECS, Glaucoma 1 & 2. Is Glaucoma 2 sufficient for managing Glaucoma in practice? No.

Staffordshire LOC- agreed certain fees for distant learning courses. Subsidies from Stafford is £650 per member for 50% for the entry fee – must register to get into system – when certified get the money back.

Who is in our community with Glaucoma 1 and Glaucoma 2 & go further on pathways to Glaucoma 3. LOCSU will fund Glaucoma 1 & Glaucoma 2. Give codes from LOCSU.

LOC chairman Staffordshire – same as WOPEC. Contact the college to see if the WOPEC course is equal to the one certified by the College. Are we able to support Optometrists in the area to upskill?

MECS/WOPEC accreditation meeting in Worcesterhire, can we do this?  Need to arrange CET in Feb. Sub Committee are planning on getting together to create a CET event (Subcommittee Susan, Chaaban, Suresh, Sukhi, Raj). Could be worthwhile holding another MECS Part 2 accreditation event.

Newly qualified staff are already getting the qualification because they have to. It’s the longer serving Optometrists that may need to push.

To do a letter/survey – Dilesh & Chabaan. @ Warwick Arms Hotel.

Partnership Board Meeting

Joy/Dilesh attended the Partnership Board meeting. Groups of local representatices from across different parts of Coventry and Warwickshire, Councils, MPs, GPs, Hospitals etc… have got together in order to tackle key tasks for there NHS agenda.They are looking at creating a forum for all health care professionals to communicate. Ophthalmology is not currently high on their agenda.

Joy & Dilesh meeting with Prof Chris Ham – happy to consult with different areas – when minutes come through – we will know.

Changes at UHCW

Eye Casualty is over-run. So many px going into eye casualty – post op clinics can’t cope.

Decided to close the door to walk ins – go anywhere – ie pharmacist, GP etc where they can refer & they will take them. Special form to fill out.

Out of hours – A&E. Walk in px to go to A&E.

Set up a protocol (with UHCW/Warwick etc) & give a phone no to px for them to ring?

If all Optometrists upskill this will help the situation.  Which practices have an OCT?

AOB

Russell – stepping down as hasn’t been able to give the time – so warning for the AGM. (good time to add to an email?)

Primary roles description? Roles and responsibilities could all officers please write down their own roles and responsibilities.

Kiran happy to do a blog to LOC members & then possibly pass out to practices.

Optometry Apprenticeship -There may be apprenticeships routes – no pre reg year. Discussions from both sides regarding pros and cons of an Optometry Apprenticeship.

The next meeting is at The Almanack, Kenilworth on Thursday 23rd January 2020       this has been confirmed. (Francesca apologies as cannot attend)

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.50pm.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.